Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Feeling Persecuted

I was raised to be tolerant of others beliefs. As such, I tend to avoid discussions of politics and religion, especially in social media such as Facebook. I even have friends that have somehow missed that I'm Christian because I don't really talk about my beliefs except to Christian family members and friends. Usually, religious discussions with my friends are "Are you happy with your belief system? Okay then. I'm happy with mine too. We're good."

I have a 'friend' (more of an acquaintance really) who is obviously anti-Christian. I had hidden more than one of her Facebook posts and moved on. Until last night.

Last night, I check my Facebook via phone before bed to find several shared anti-Christian photos in my feed. And my phone doesn't have the ability to hide posts. 

This upset me because I sincerely try not to attack anyone for what they believe. Anyone. No matter what they believe. No matter what they do. Unless they ask me, then I will give an honest opinion. But I keep politics and religion off of my page. Pretty much completely. So to feel like my beliefs were being attacked by this person was pretty upsetting, as I'm sure you can imagine.

I contemplated posting on one of her posts and saying something along the lines of 'you know, not all Christians think that' or posting on my page about how devastating it is to log into your account and feel attacked. Instead, I reached for my Bible and turned to the Beatitudes. 

And turning His gaze toward His disciples, He began to say, “Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.  Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh. Blessed are you when men hate you, and ostracize you, and insult you, and scorn your name as evil, for the sake of the Son of Man.

Luke 6:20-22 (NASB)

“Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
“Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Matthew 5:10-12
 This morning, I defriended this person. I am trying to make my life better and don't need to have exposure to repeated posts in my feed. Not if they are going to upset me. 

A girl can only be expected to take so much.

I know that I'll be persecuted for my beliefs. Some by non-Christians who don't understand. Some by fellow Christians that don't think I'm doing it right. And I'm okay with that. Because persecution just equals a greater reward in heaven.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment