Tuesday, February 12, 2013

On the Eve of Lent

Happy Mardi Gras!

Of course, that only means that tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent.

My church encourages 'giving something up' for Lent, but we're not strict about it and we don't fast or anything like that.

However...I personally am FASCINATED by the idea of penance, fasting and abstinence. So I'm going to (planning to, hoping to):
  • Give up soda. It's minor, but trust me, I really love Dr Pepper. Giving up my beloved soda is definitely a sacrifice.
  • Work on a sin that's been bothering me. 
  • I've been meaning to start working out, now seems like a perfect time to focus on it. And I just got a couple of friends together who are also working out so now I have a support group!
  • And get closer to God. Work on our relationship. Because that is really want Lent is about, focusing on God.
    • I have the Lenten booklet my church put out
    • As well as a Focus 40 prayer schedule that I'm going to follow, also from my church
    • And a Sunday bible study that I found through another denomination online
    • I'm going to pray, daily, which I already try to do but it's going to be a definite focus for me. One thing I liked was the idea of giving up your lunch (fasting) to take a walk and pray.
    • I'd like to go to church more, but since my church only has weekend services I don't know how that'll work. 
Since I'm focusing on my relationship with God, my daily Bible verse amused me today:  
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. James 4:8 (NASB) 

PS I just volunteered for a Christian music festival this summer. I really feel that God needs me there, so I just bit the bullet and filled out the form. I've been agonizing over volunteering for a few days so it was a big step! and partially inspired by my Bible study group last night, we talked about doing what God calls you to do even if it's a step out of your comfort zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment